Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Testimony

It all started when I was just a wee lad. I was driving with dad to Idaho and we were crossing a bridge accross the Columbia River. I wasn't talking...I was just alone in my little kid thoughts, probably thinking about legos or transformers or teenage mutant ninja turtles...maybe soda pop and lollipops. Anyway, while I was sitting there off in lala land staring at the foothills, my father asked me if I knew how those mountains and rocks got there. I said "No". So he began to explain to me about how God created the heavens and the earth. That was the first time I'd heard about God.

Before my introduction to God, my parents got divorced and my mom moved my sister and I from Seattle to her hometown of Yakima. Before the divorce, as a last ditch effort to save the marriage, my father got involved with church. My mom wasn't ready for the church stuff, but my dad latched on. Eventually he moved to Yakima too to be close to my sister and I. By the time he moved to Yakima he had completely given his life over to the Lord. So when we saw him he would do what he could to instill in us everything he could about God, and having a relationship with God, and the bible. Then we'd go back to our mom, who was not serving Christ, and do whatever we wanted. Those we're some confusing times as a kid.

But I did get manage to get saved when I was 10, and then when I was abround 15 years old. while we were in church with my dad, the preacher called me up and told me the Lord told him that if I completely surrendered my life to him I would be preaching to the nations by the time I was 17. Well I wasn't ready for all that so my high school years where spent smoking pot, doing mushrooms, getting suspended, skipping school, and just being a rebellious teenager. I was running...running from my calling, running from my mantle, running from God.

When I was 21 I was accepted into The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Phoenix Arizona. That happened to be where my dad was living. He moved down there when I was about 15 out of obedience to God. So I lived with him while I was going to school and once again he did was he could to instill God in me. Soon I was souled out. I wanted to serve the cross. I was reading the bible everyday and praying and asking my dad questions. When school was over I moved to San DIego to do my internship. I got involved with a church (a powerless church) as the lead sound engineer, I was growing as a christian, but my long time girlfriend moved down to San Diego. I told her I was serving Christ and I didn't want to have premartial sex anymore. Ha...you try telling your horny 20 year old girlfriend you don't want to have sex anymore. It makes them want it more. I resisted....at first, but her persistence quickly made me give in. So that was my first big stumbling block. After about a year of living in San Diego, heart break hit. She broke up with me so she could date this fancy hairdresser cokehead who could dance better then me. I was crushed. It was a horrible, very bad, no good break up. I'm not going to go into detail about it because her and I have since become fairly close friends, but I was badly hurt. I stopped caring about walking with Christ. I started drinking...a lot. I was consistly drinking Mickey's 40's almost every night after work...sometimes 2 40's. I started going out with people from work and get trashed. I stopped going to church because I'd wake up Sunday morning hungover. Eventually I'd started doing drugs again, but this time harder stuff then pot. I was using ecstacy every now and then. I started using cocaine on the weekends. So I was drinking almost everyday after work, then when the weekend was near my dealer would text me letting me know "the white girl was back in town". As soon as he'd text I'd start making calls to my friends to see who wanted to throw in on an 8 ball, or half a ball, then I'd go pick it up. That's how it went for almost the last six months of my time in San Diego.

Now while I was partying my nose and liver off, God was also speaking to me and nudging me to move back to Phoenix. I wasn't ready to give up my partying, so I resisted for a long time. Then long story short, I got laid off and my living situation fell through all about the same time. Not only that but my music engineering career that's I'd been trying to start never took off. Basically what it was is that God was forcing me out of San Diego. I said "Fine God, I'll do it...I'll move to Phoenix, but I'm gunna party even harder until the day I move!!" So I had 2 month before the move, and for the first month I did just that, but then last month things changed. I went to the Glory School conference with my dad.

The Glory School was a 3 day Christian conference that was being held at the Lake San Marco Resort near SD. I basically went for my dad's sake. I wasn't going into it with a serious attitude. But by the end of it all the desires to drink and do drugs were gone. They we're cut out of me. I wish I could say I never did coke after that but sure enough, the next weekend my friends were like let's get some coke. I really didn't want to but I didn't want to let them down...so I called my dealer up, picked up some coke...got it back to the pad...chopped the rock up...railed up some lines...and snorted a thick, long rail straight to the dome piece....and I hated it. It wasn't the same high I used to have. I went up to my room started reading the bible, and praying to God to take my high away. Long story short, for the next 2 weeks before I moved back to Phoenix, I did everything I could to avoid partying, which wasn't easy with the friends I had, but I did it. It was like walking through a minefield and Jesus helped me make all the right steps. Now I'm here in Phoenix (more specifically Maricopa), involved with Extreme Prophetic.

Turn the Page...

No comments: